Arsenal Canopies Fabrication Job
Crawford Division: Fiberglass, Welded Fabrication, Architectural Products
Client: Corps of Engineers, Rock Island (IL) Arsenal
Challenge: Provide aesthetically pleasing and sustainable canopies at historical landmark
Solution: Fabricate and install corrosion resistant fiberglass protection canopy structures at building entry ways
Crawford Company designed and installed three canopies for the Corps of Engineers' historic Clock Tower Building at the Rock Island Arsenal. The canopies provide a covered entry point and protection at the Clock Tower, while adhering to aesthetics and sustainable standards set forth at the historic landmark. The canopies feature a color scheme and oak leaf accent design to match the original historic fencing around the building.
The project was unique as it involved multiple divisions of the company. The design and engineering was done in house. The fiberglass manufacturing was done by Monoxivent's Corrosion Composites (a division of Crawford), the stainless steel structures were manufactured by Crawford's weld division, and the installation was performed by a field crew from Crawford.
Additional support for the project came from: Appalachian Plastics, Tully Industrial Inc., Missman Stanley & Assoc., and Shoemaker Fine Woodcrafting.
The project was an excellent example of teamwork and coordination within and outside the company.
The canopies are the latest example of Crawford work at area landmarks. Other examples include: lighting structures at Schwiebert Riverfront Park and the entry way signage at Quad City International Airport.
About the Clock Tower Building:
An Act of Congress established Rock Island Arsenal in 1862. Major Charles P. Kingsbury, the first Commanding Officer of Rock Island Arsenal, located and designed three buildings for the arsenal. In 1867, the Clock Tower Building was the only one completed, thereby becoming the first building on Arsenal Island. Since 1932 it has been home to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Rock Island District.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is constructed with native sandstone blocks from the LeClaire quarries. The clock tower is 117-feet tall. The structure itself remains the most impressive architectural feature at Arsenal Island.
WHAT ARE PEOPLE SAYING
The restrooms are beautiful. The work was conducted professionally and without any disruptions to our teachers, staff, students, or their learning. Thank you to everyone involved with this process. We appreciate you all!